Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Home stretch

It never fails: you plan out what you want to get done before vacation, and the week promptly goes kablooey.

By the time I got home last night, I was so worn out from the constant interruptions and odd requests that I could have sworn it was Wednesday - wishful thinking.

Not much going on other than trying to get ready to get out of here for a week. I'm hoping to pick up my new contacts tonight (Long story short: they didn't order them until two week after my appointment, when I called the second time to find out if they were in yet. They promised to expedite the order; that was last Friday), because if I can't, I can't do it until Saturday. I don't really want to spend the first day of vacation at the eye doctor.

It must be something in the air. Yesterday, I had the worst customer service I've ever had, anywhere at a fast food place (Looking at you, Dunkin). The traffic has been much heavier than usual, and much more...erratic. People seem a bit twitchy.

The first few days of my vacation are going to be rather summer-like, with temps up in the mid-seventies. Good thing, as I want to get all the fall cleaning, mulching and trimming done sometime that week. I may even (finally) wash the windows. The date of our average first frost locally is October 18th or so.

Craft day, a friend coming over for lunch and talk and a housewarming party to attend are the main social events during the time off. The rest of the time will be devoted to sewing, cleaning, organizing, reading, day trips and sleep, blessed sleep.

On the organizing front, I'm listening to a book by a Japanese author on the subject of decluttering. I get a kick out of the fact that she consistently calls it "tidying". What a kinder, more housewifely word. The book was free, but in order to listen to it on the Kindle I needed to start a trial for Audible. Listening to audio books is not something I do on a regular basis, not even something I enjoy. I need the page in front of me to pay attention. Hopefully, I can figure out where on Amazon to cancel the automatic enrollment in the paid version of Audible before the trial runs out.

Oh, yeah - and finish listening to the book. That option of speeding playback - in my case, to 1.5x - is a lifesaver.

I better get back to the kablooey. We'll see who else has a last minute request for something they've known about for two weeks...

No comments: