Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Sugary sweet

It took me a very long time to develop a taste for yogurt. The health benefits are undeniable, but for me, it was a texture thing. Finally, in an effort to get in some dairy other than cheese and ice cream (I hate drinking milk), I gave in.

After a few tries, I found a favorite. Not too sweet, not too yogurt-y. I've been eating Yoplait Light for years, at the rate of at least five a week.

A month or so ago, they announced they were switching sweeteners. No longer would the light version contain any of the nasty aspartame; they were using a more healthful sweetener.

Sucralose.

Um, yeah.

Still, it's a step in the right direction.

On its own, sucralose is three times as sweet as an equivalent amount of aspartame, so you would naturally think that they would cut down on the amount of sweetener added to the product.

Unfortunately, they did some "taste tests" with the general public, and decided to increase the relative sweetness of the product. So much so, in fact, that I almost can't eat it, it is so sickeningly sweet.

Sigh. One of the reasons I liked Yoplait was that it wasn't as sweet as the competitors. Stupid general public and their out of control sweet cravings.

I suppose I should grab half a dozen containers of competitor's brands and do a taste test. Judging by prior experience (including recent try outs of some "greek" yogurts) I doubt I'll find one I like.

Anyone out there have a favorite?

No comments: