Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Pretties

I've mentioned before that I've been using a moleskine datebook for a quiet time notebook. The entire product line is a treat - paper that just calls out for ink, sturdy covers, convenient sizes, an elastic band to keep things together and other features, depending on the particular style.

While recovering from a very late New Year's eve morning, I began messing about with ribbon, elmer's glue, super glue and fray check. This is the result.


And a better shot, showing both front and back. There are two layers of ribbon wrapped around the book - a woven black, dark pink and light pink one layered over a much wider dark pink grosgrain printed with white polka dots. The pink gingham ribbon bookmarks replace the original, thinner black one. The wavy thing at the left is the elastic that holds the book shut.


While I thought about doing this last year, I never could figure out what I wanted to do. This year, one of those "just do it" fits came upon me, and I began the project with no real plan. Though the goal was to make it pretty, functionality is the characteristic I value most. Too many gee gaws on the front would make it difficult to use. Ribbon fit the bill.

My personal journal is a similar notebook, and will probably receive similar treatment. Just recently moleskine issued pairs of their 3.5 x 5.5" notebooks in coordinated pairs of colors (previously only available in black and tan) - I picked up a set of the pink ones, and will most likely throw a ribbon around those as well.

No comments: